Project Management Essentials (Online)
In this immersive, online workshop you will learn and practice project management principles and best practices that can enhance efficiency and productivity in your everyday work.
Through discussions and small group breakout sessions, you will practice a simple framework that can help a project of any size get done faster with less scope creep while reducing project meeting fatigue. You will also receive a variety of tools and resources aligned with best practice project management business practices and methods.
Technology Requirements: The program uses Zoom and Canvas. You will be sent access instructions for both platforms prior to the start of the program.
Who Should Attend
Anyone who desires to improve their project management skills to better meet business objectives is encouraged to attend this program, even if you have never managed a project before.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute Inc.
Continuing Education Units
This course provides 0.7 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
How You Will Benefit
- Learn the critical question that leaders need ask at the beginning of a project to determine an implementation approach, cost, schedule, and conflicts to expect throughout the project lifecycle.
- Practice and use a simple three-step framework to reach project success.
- Understand how the three-step process is in alignment with more formal methodologies such as phase-based waterfall project management, Agile project management, and continuous improvement activities such as Lean and Six Sigma.
- Use and apply 10 streamlined tools and templates that can help a project of any size get done faster, lessen scope creep, and reduce project meeting fatigue.
- Gain insights from practitioners on how the tools and templates are used in a variety of project scenarios.
|Module 1 – Introduction and Review of Project Complexity|
|Module 2 – Dealing with Project Challenges|
|Module 3 – Managing Scope by Understanding Constraints|
|Module 4 – Project Initiation Tools|
|Module 5 – Project Planning Tools|
|Module 6 – Planning Tools|
|Module 7 – Project Execution and Working the Plan|
|Module 8 – Project Closure and Program Wrap-Up|
- Instructor-Led Discussion: 20 Minutes
- Small Group Exercises: 15 Minutes
- Class Debrief: 15 Minutes
- Personal Break Time: 10 Minutes
For over 2 decades Scott has developed courses in his areas of expertise, which include project management, portfolio management, gathering business requirements, process improvement using Lean Six Sigma, business statistics, and decision making. He also has over a decade of applied experience in the field as a former information technology director and as a technologist for an internetworking software developer.
Scott has developed programs for a variety of audiences ranging from novices to experienced professionals to C-level executives. Clients have included Fortune 500 firms, the United States military, government, higher education, and not-for-profit agencies.
Scott is a Six Sigma black belt and received his M.B.A. from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. He holds a B.S. degree in physics from UW-Eau Claire.
Live Learning Sessions
December 7, 2020
8:15 – 5 p.m. CST
Lunch Break 12 – 12:45 p.m. Breaks will occur throughout the day.