Leadership Beyond Management
Transition to a Place of Higher Purpose and Performance
Leadership Beyond Management is an empowering, interactive, and self-reflective journey that will give you a 360° view of your leadership strengths and developmental needs. You will acquire real-world strategies to positively impact and influence individuals and teams in a way that improves business performance.
"This program gave me the tools and information necessary to help me lead with more purpose, passion, and intent." Julie Parks, Public Relations Director, American Girl
Who Should Attend
Continuing Education Units
This course provides 3.5 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
How You Will Benefit
- Assess the effectiveness of your leadership style via a globally-normed 360° feedback assessment process
- Increase your awareness of organization context and culture, allowing you to respond more thoughtfully to rapid changes in business circumstances
- Enhance your ability to lead intentionally via key foundational, situational, and strategic leadership competencies
- Explore how to positively impact your productivity and effectiveness in serving diverse customers by cultivating an inclusive workplace
- Discover your authentic leadership purpose and choose how it will impact your personal, professional, and organizational success
- Investigate how the best leaders design their organizations for success
- Engage in one-on-one post-program coaching to assist you in clarifying and committing to your leadership development goals
Monday–Leading within Context
- Understand the need for leaders to read organizational context in order to successfully lead
- Identify key contextual issues in your workplace that impact productivity and performance
- Use the ladder of inference to leverage the context of others to solve business problems
Tuesday–Leading with Intention
- Learn how to recognize successful leadership styles
- Receive 360° feedback on your most used leadership styles
- Learn how to choose leadership style appropriate for a situation
- Define next steps for your leadership development
- Examine the links between business performance and inclusive cultures
- Understand how the diversity of customers and clients impacts business opportunity
- Respond to business opportunity with cross-cultural competence
- Assess your own cross-cultural competence
- Leverage the power of an inclusive workplace
Thursday–Leading with Purpose
- Assess your unique talents and values that shape you as a leader
- Name your core purpose as a leader
- Acknowledge your own personal actions that marginalize your purpose as a leader
- Impact the performance of others through your authentic and purposeful leadership
Friday–Leading by Design
Lunch at 12:30 p.m. concludes the program
- Understand the importance of leveraging business processes to achieve desired outcomes
- Know how well-designed processes can shape organizational behavior
- Examine how to apply and integrate learnings from the prior four days to design and lead a high-performing organization
Justin Ponder is a professor who teaches courses on ethnic studies, African-American studies, and ethnic minority literature. He has been published in numerous journals and books on the issue of race and identity politics, exploring ways to bridge the gap between who we are and who we must become to achieve a more equitable world for others.
He has helped organizations and leaders consider connections between the historical past, the social present, and a more just future. He knows how to masterfully weave the academic with the practical and the political with the personal so people can better appreciate the complexity of the issues while finding clarity about their responsibilities. In his work on diversity, equity, and inclusion, he is known for his ability to teach difficult lessons in gentle ways that combine heartbreak and humor to inspire hope.
Justin has a Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee.
Lisa leverages decades of corporate and consulting experience to educate, counsel, and coach managers, executives, and leadership teams in the science and art of leadership and organizational culture. As a program director, instructor, and coach at the Wisconsin School of Business Center for Professional & Executive Development, Lisa advises to the rich leadership content within the Executive Leadership and Transition to Executive Management certificate programs.
Her background includes a range of human resources, leadership development, culture, and change experience, most recently from Baxter Healthcare and Hewitt Associates. Lisa has earned an M.B.A. from Southern Methodist University, and both a Masters in Liberal Arts and a Certificate in Leadership from the University of Chicago. She is also a certified consultant with Human Synergistics, International. Her most important challenge is championing change in the public school where she is on the board of education.
P Artell Smith
Artell has extensive experience in human resources management, advising and focusing on overall people strategy, talent management/development, and compensation/benefits. He has led transformative projects across all aspects of HR work globally, including talent development, generalist services, operations, technology, and global sourcing.
Artell is Principal and Managing Director of WatchWorks Management Consulting LLC. Previously, Artell was HR Senior Vice-President for Strategy, Technology & Operations at Aon plc, a $12B global insurance brokerage and HR consultancy. Artell also served as CHRO at Aon Hewitt, a 25,000-employee, $4B subsidiary of Aon plc. He retired from Aon plc in December 2013.
Prior to Aon plc, Artell was HR Vice President, Business Process Outsourcing at Hewitt Associates, Vice President of Training & Communications at Fidelity Investments, Retail Investor Services, and Senior HR Specialist at ExxonMobil.
Artell earned his Master of Public Administration degree from Brigham Young University Graduate School of Management, and a Bachelor of Arts in history and political science also from BYU.
Steve is adjunct faculty for the Wisconsin School of Business Center for Professional & Executive Development. Prior to this role, Steve served as the president and executive director of the Center for five years.
Formerly, Steve was chief learning officer and vice president of talent management for Baxter. Prior to this position, Steve was the senior vice president of human resources at Hewitt Associates for seven years, with responsibility for all aspects of human resources for the international consulting and outsourcing firm, and he was Hewitt’s chief learning officer for three years.
Before joining Hewitt, Steve was with the Bank of Montreal’s Institute for Learning, where he was the faculty head for leadership and change management. He also held training and management development positions at CVS Caremark and BMO Harris Bank.
Steve has an M.A. from the University of Wisconsin and a B.A. from the University of Iowa, both in economics.
Susan has experience in organizational development working with large multinational companies. Her focus is matrix organizations and how to navigate and influence cross-functionally in these organizations.
Prior to joining the University of Wisconsin-Madison faculty, Susan worked for Baxter and two pharmaceutical companies. She also held an adjunct faculty role at Northwestern University teaching a leadership and change course as part of a master's in medical informatics, as well as a leadership and strategy course.
Susan is the author of Master the Matrix: 7 Essentials for Getting Things Done in Complex Organizations and The Cross Functional Influence Playbook. She has a B.A. from Central Michigan University and an M.A. from Indiana University.
Monday - Thursday
Program: 8:15 a.m.-5 p.m.
Lunch and Breaks are Included with Program Registration
Program: 8:15 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Lunch and Breaks are Included with Program Registration
Program Check-In will be 7:30-8:15 a.m. on the first day of the program.